Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas in Birmingham

The best part of Christmas is spending time with family and we drove to Birmingham for a few days for an early Christmas with Rachel, Marcus, and the kids.  It was a shorter stay than usual but I enjoyed every minute. 

We arrived in town about 1:30 PM and not long after we checked in to our hotel, Rachel brought the kids over for a swim.  The boys are amazing swimmers!  They are both able to swim on their own in the big pool as long as an adult is keeping an eye on them.  They both know how to dive but the pool is only about 5 feet at the deep end and doesn't allow diving.  Rachel and Dan enjoyed the hot tub while I enjoyed holding Lydia :).    Dan spent a lot of time playing in the big pool with the boys too.  I never actually got in the water this time :)  

Marcus was working so he met us afterward at Jason's Deli for dinner.   Jason's Deli has become of favorite of ours.  Caleb tasted Papa's toasted garlic bread and he loved it!  He kept saying, "I like this kind of bread" and asking for more.  We all enjoyed ourselves as usual.

We all went back to their house for our Christmas Eve.  Rachel had all the kids dressed in matching pajamas.  For some reason, I only got a picture of Ethan.  I wish I had photographed all three of them because they looked adorable.



That evening, we all watched a video together.  It was a Veggie Tale about the origins of Santa Claus and the spirit of giving which the kids loved.  The kids were already ready for bed and very excited because the next morning was their Christmas.  I don't remember who asked Caleb if he was hoping to see Santa Claus but this was his response:  "I don't just want to see Santa Claus, I want to see him in his sleigh flying through the sky".  The kids went to bed and we had our traditional game of poker.  For the first time that I can remember, I came out ahead.  I always enjoy poker, win or lose but it was fun to win!

The next morning was so much fun watching the kids open their presents.  The boys handed out presents to everyone and took turns opening presents.  Ethan loves costumes and had been hoping for western boots for months.




Caleb was hoping for a Discovery toys marble maze.   He also got a beginner Erector Set.  I'll be interested to see how he likes it after he tries it out.  They were my favorite thing to play with as a kid.



I discovered after looking back over my photos that I didn't get as many of Lydia as I'd hoped.  I guess that's because I spent more time holding and playing with her than using my camera.





After we had our Christmas, Marcus had to go to work.  We spent the day playing with kids and I took a few more pictures.   Rachel took the boys to the hotel again to swim with Papa.  I stayed at the house with Lydia :)



That evening, Rachel got a sitter for the kids and the adults went to a fantastic restaurant  I had never eaten French food before.  I ordered a fish entree and it was delicious!  When it came time for dessert, Dan and Marcus declined so Rachel and I split one.  I don't remember what it was called but it had chocolate and raspberries and was a very light but rich dessert.  Our server brought four spoons and between the four of us, it quickly disappeared.

We had to head home the next day so this was our only full day there.  We were all pretty tired so Dan and I headed back to our hotel.  We made plans to return in the morning to play with the kids for a few hours before heading home.  

I'm so happy that I will be able to visit more often.  My next visit will be in March :)

No comments: