Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Ambien Adventure?

I should really call it the Ambien nightmare and let me begin by saying that I  quit taking it altogether about three months ago.  I am just now getting around to posting about it. 

Looking back, there were clues that I did not notice at the time.  Dan kept telling me that I was talking loudly in my sleep all night.  He mentioned other things that I KNEW were not true but there did seem to be "mystery" evidence around our home. Things like an empty bag of chips that HE had not eaten and I'm the only other person living in the house.  The same thing had been occurring repeatedly with half eaten pies.  I kept wondering what was going on because neither of us had any reason to deny eating food.  I also had a very strange experience at Michael and Jen's home that I thought was due to my migraine medication and now it's clear that it was also due to the Ambien.

The deciding factor occurred one night when I got up repeatedly and kept falling hard on the floor and on the wooden parts of furniture.  Dan kept trying to persuade me to go back to bed and I kept getting back up and "seeing" things.  He was convinced I was going to break an arm, leg, or hip because I fell so many times.

The next morning, he told me what happened.  I didn't have any recollection, but I was sore all over!  That evening he came home with pages of research he had done about people taking Ambien that had begun sleep-eating, sleep-drinking, sleep-driving, and many other things.  I had already made up my mind to stop taking it, but I could tell that he needed to express himself fully because of the scare I gave him the night before.

No more Ambien for me.  I will say that although the migraine medication can cause hallucinations, it does not cause them for me.  I have continued to take it with no side effects.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you have this figured out!