Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Michael Allen Herwick

Michael is my older brother.  I was eleven months old when he was born.  As long as I can remember, I have been the older sister.  I've only seen him once in 25 years.  He has been developmentally disabled since he was about two years old.

I was fiercely protective of him as I was growing up and woe to the person who made fun of Michael or anyone else that had a disability.  He attended the same high school as I did but he had a "special" classroom and teacher.  He was also enrolled in several general classes with me.  Health class is the only one I can remember right now.  We graduated the same year and I was so proud that was able to walk with the rest of our graduating class of about 900 students. 

I have been able to keep up with him somewhat through extended family who were able to spend time with him over the years.  He has had his struggles, but he has accomplished more than I had hoped for him.  He began working as a custodian in a local school district the year we graduated.  He worked for 30 years and then retired with a good income.  I am so proud of him and can't wait to see him again.

I had a conversation with one of my sisters a few years ago.  I maintain that he looks very much like one of the stars of "Criminal Minds".  She doesn't really see the resemblance.

2 comments:

Free at last said...

ok ok I do see some similar expressions and that dark broody look is the same. They are both kind of quite and you listen when they talk.

Jennifer said...

He totally does! That's crazy!!