Thursday, February 24, 2011

St. Patrick's School

I saw my Aunt Ellen several years ago over Thanksgiving  and she asked me if I went to St. Patrick's school. I hadn't seen her for many years. I think it had been 25 years, but in any case, it had been a long time.

I had totally forgotten about it until she asked. I was enrolled in a Catholic school for first grade. I think it was located on the campus of Kent State University. I don't remember very much about school. I think I was a good student.

I do remember how much I hated recess. At recess, I would choose a spot near the building or at the outside edge of the play area. I would stand on that spot, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. I didn't want to get into trouble and I didn't want to make anyone mad at me - not even another first grader.

I had an older cousin or aunt who came up to me at least one time. She was probably high school age. She was kind to me and I think she tried to get me to play with other children. There was NO WAY I would take a risk like that. I wish I could remember who it was.   I have been thinking about this since I first wrote this post, and I really think it may have been my Aunt Agnes!

You may wonder, "how hard could it be to figure out?". Well, I have a very large family on my mother's side. Here is a list of my mother's siblings:

Margaret, Robert, Catherine, Anna, Ellen, Josephine, Frank, Hugh, Pat, Dick, Agnes, Judy, Joe (died when I was about 5) and another Agnes (died as an infant- possibly a twin)

I think my mother was between Anna and Ellen. My mother had 6 of us and with all of the aunts and uncles listed above, you can see that I had lots of cousins. My aunt Judy was only a year or so older than me. She lived with us when she was small because my grandmother had died. Judy always seemed more like a cousin than an aunt.

I have so many good memories of growing up with my cousins. I'll write about that another time.

Back to Catholic school - I may have attended part of 2nd grade at St Matthew's Catholic school. I can't remember for sure.

I do remember going to catechism classes and making my first communion. That would have been 2nd grade and catechism classes were held after school (I think that's right)

The only times I remember going to church on Sundays were the weekend's at Grandpa Joe's or the times I walked from my own house. I remember being at church with different aunts, uncles, and cousins but I don't ever remember seeing my mother. This struck me so odd that I asked my sister - she doesn't ever remember seeing our mother at church either. Strange.

No comments: