Monday, February 14, 2011

Rebound - Part 2

I recently learned about rebound headaches.   I had heard of them before but I'd never really understood the process.

I'd been having daily migraine headaches for about two months and had nearly used all of the prescription medication that typically stops my migraines before they hit full force.  I discussed this with my neurologist in late January and he emphasized to me that I could not take this medication more than twice a week because it could cause a stroke!! 

He then explained that I had been most likely been having rebound migraines which occur when the body becomes accustomed to the prescription treatment and then responds to the diminishing amount of medication in the body by triggering a new migraine. 

That particular medication is an "abortive" type and I could not take it for the next two weeks.  That meant  I had to miss the next two weeks of work to stay in bed and deal with daily headaches.  My doctor also started me on a daily "preventative" medicaiton that should reduce the number of migraines I get.  I sure hope so.

I have learned my lesson and I will not take the "abortive" medication more than twice a week! 

No comments: