Monday, March 21, 2011

This side of sixty is really sixteen!

I can hardly believe that I will be sixty years old on my next birthday.  First of all, it seems like I just turned fifty yesterday, and forty the day before that!!

Lest you doubt, think about the day you got married.  Whether it be 5, 10, or 15 years ago, it went by so fast in some ways.   Or think about the birth of your child, whether it was 2, 4, or 8 years ago, don't you flash back like it was yesterday?

When I was in my early twenties, I looked at my thirties as the point when my life would have already peaked and I would start going downhill.  LOL!!  Even now that still causes be to really laugh out loud!!!    By the time I reached thirty, I was a young mother to two preschoolers.

When I was about 32,  Rachel was four and Michael was two.   I was babysitting 2 additional two-year olds as well as 2 three-year olds every weekday.  That was DEFINATLY not downhill!!

When I turned 40 my kids were in upper elementary school.  When I turned 50 they were close to entering college and I was close to finishing college.  Shortly after, I began graduate school.  I guess that's why I barely noticed 40 and didn't noticed turning 50 at all.

One things has remained steadfast all these years and it may surprise you.  While my body notices my age, my heart and spirit still feels like I am 16 years old.  I can clearly remember walking down the street with girl friends the first time I realize that boys noticed us.  That was the first year I went to a prom!  My first experience at a theme park was that year and I loved it!  That was a year of many firsts and many good things for me.

I made a reference to this to another teacher recently and she didn't know what I was talking about.  She said she didn't know what age she felt other than the age she is now.

Well I do, I feel sixteen and I'm GLAD!!!

No comments: