Thursday, July 02, 2009

Terry Sanford Smith

I got to know Terry and his wife Charlotte when they lived a few blocks from me. They are amazing individuals and I miss them.

While Terry worked with the church here, I visited with him on a regular basis. As time went by, he helped me learn some things about myself, some of which I did not want to know. As it turned out, the more I knew and accepted about me, the healthier I became emotionally.

Learning to love myself was a great gift and it occurred over time. An integral part of that process was a realization that came as a result of my observations of Terry Smith and how he interacted with everyone around him. I saw Terry consistently love people with words and actions. His genuine concern for people was like a shining light and at some point,

I UNDERSTOOD!

At that point, I had been a Christian for years and I knew in my head that God loved me and nothing could change that. While my head knew it, my heart had no clue until

that moment in time when Terry's example taught my heart that God loved me and NOTHING could change that. My heart FELT the love of God for the first time. My heart learned what my head had already known. What a gift!

Thank you Terry, for letting God use you to help me.

I recently came across a poetry blog entitled, "Your Story Matters". I was not surprised to learn that Terry Smith was the author.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK.

Here is a link to just one of his poems.

No comments: