Sunday, May 31, 2009

I love you Nanna!

Rachel brought the boys for a visit several weeks ago and I am just now posting about it. She was very brave to drive here by herself with two little ones and I am a very grateful Nanna.

As she pulled in, I walked out and waved at the boys in their car seats. Caleb is old enough that he remembers me between visits. Ethan recently turned a year old and I didn't expect him to remember me from our last visit but he had just a hint of a smile and locked eyes with me through his window. I knew I would be pushing it to get him out of the car so I waved to him and then went to help Caleb out of the car.

One of my first thoughts (which I did not say aloud) was, "I really hate that after such a long drive, I can't even help Rachel bring in her things". We all went inside and after a little while, I was perfectly happy to entertain both boys while she unloaded the car. Ethan, however, was not going to let his mama out of sight. She tried to slip out and and we all followed Ethan as he trotted after her and wailed indignantly for her to come back.

If I had thought fast enough, I'm sure I could have diverted Ethan's attention with the offer of food. He is still the most amazing little eater. Even if he starts before everyone else, he is likely to be asking for more as everyone else finishes. He has eyes like an eagle for spotting any possible portion of food anywhere on the table or counter and if he thinks it's something that we haven't yet offered to him, he immediately points, looks plaintively at each of us while he says "dat" or "more" or "please". What's really funny is when he's just finished a meal and someone else is just beginning or is eating a snack. He isn't hungry but he loves to eat so he will ask and keep asking. I told him it was up to his mama. (I didn't have the heart to tell him no).

Here is Ethan asking to eat again and it hasn't been very long since dinner.


Ethan just adores Caleb he wants to do whatever Caleb is doing. I spent a lot of time on the floor playing with both boys and reading. I had brought paint home so we could paint rocks and Ethan was happy as long as he had a paint brush and a rock. He didn't notice the lack of paint. Caleb loved mixing all the colors with each rock he painted. We had lots of fun.  Caleb had fun discovering the push/pull characteristics of magnets.

By the 2nd day, Caleb was cuddling with me and more than once said, "Nanna, I really love you". Yep, it melted my heart. I was totally taken by surprise however, when Ethan ran up and hugged me. I looked at Rachel and I realized at the same moment that she said it, "Ethan wants to do whatever Caleb does".  I didn't care, it was just so sweet.

We went to a nearby playground one afternoon. Here are some of the highlights.
All little boys are drawn to puddles like a magnets and these guys were no different. Caleb began throwing rocks into the puddle and of course,  Ethan wanted to be big like his brother so got his own rock to toss in the puddle. Caleb loves to kick a soccer ball so after he kicked the ball, Ethan gave it all he had to try to reach the ball before Caleb could retrieve it. I love it that Ethan is always so proud of his effort even if he doesn't succeed! We had such a good time. Grandkids are one the great blessings of life.

2 comments:

April said...

What a fun post! Sorry I've been behind with my reading and commenting on blogs lately...

I love how you share what's on your heart. I love how open you are in sharing your own story. Thank you!

And I love the picture on this post of you racing Caleb! How fun!! So glad you got to enjoy those two precious boys.

Rachel said...

Great pictures and stories, Mom! I always love to hear what stands out to you from our visits :) It's amazing to me how much you can absorb of the boys' personalities in a few days, but you are right on!