Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Moving can be an adventure!

We put our house on the market about four months ago and when we got an offer recently, I thought, "this is a good offer, we need to accept it!"

Dan had a different response - "Since we just put on completely new roof, we need to send back a counter-offer that put the price back to our original full asking price."  I could see why he thought that but I also realized that we would probably lose the sale.

Boy was I wrong - they accepted our counter-offer and we have now passed the inspection!  We are almost home free!!  We still have the appraisal to wait on before we can begin the final preparations for moving.

We already have an apartment assigned to us on campus nearby.  It's a an 1100 sq. feet, two bedrooms, two full baths, and it's a ground floor unit.  It's a brand new building, in fact it's scheduled to be ready by about August 15th.  The closing date for our house is August 21 and I have to admit that this is a bit close for my comfort.  I am hoping that our house closes a bit late so we have a little more breathing room.

I'm trying not to stress about this, after all this is an adventure - if the apartment is ready early, there won't be anything to worry about.  If not, there may be other options available that I'm not yet aware of.

I am very excited about moving.  I have wanted to downsize for several years now and I have been in the process of sorting through items and getting ready.  We have been packing for the last week and went furniture shopping yesterday.

We are buying new furniture!  I am excited and at the same time a little nervous.  I walked around for several hours looking at so many styles of furniture and had no idea what I really like.  Also, it's hard to picture how the furniture will look in an apartment I have never seen.  We do have a floor plan, but that doesn't really help me a lot as far as picking out the furniture.

We are getting a king bed for our room and a queen set for the guest room.  We'll still have an inflatable double mattress so that makes enough sleeping arrangements for the kids so they can still stay with us when they come to town.

Well, that's all for now.  I'll update in a few days when I know more.


No comments: