Saturday, September 10, 2011

Entering a New Stage of Life

I was curious about how many stages of life the "experts" designate and it varies from 3-9 depending upon whether you consult the writings of Erikson, Confucious, or a handful of others.  They all do agree on the stage I am entering:  Late Adulthood begins around 60 or 65 with the onset of retirement. (I'll be 60 in a few months)

RETIREMENT!!

I began this school year with the intention of finishing but my plans have changed.  I have been sick every week since school started, my immunity is way down, and I am still trying to recover from my second bout with bronchitis.   The job is taking more from me than I am willing to give so I gave my letter of resignation last week.  My official date is December 20th or before if they hire my replacement and want me to leave sooner.

I feel totally at peace with this decision!  I haven't felt one moment of regret since I gave notice!!  I have begun making notes for my replacement as I am working each day.  He or she will be overwhelmed no matter how much I try to help beforehand, but I'll still do what I can.

I have been thinking a lot about the things I will be able to do when I'm no longer working full-time.
  • Travel with Dan on his trips West (he's been going for years and I haven't been able to join him)
  • Visit my kids and grandkids more often and when I want to not just when school is out
  • Visit my sisters in Ohio more often than every 4-5 years
  • Teach classes at church
  • Join a book club
  • Join a bowling league
  • Volunteer in my community
  • Find a hobby I never tried before
  • Go back to my Ancestry research
 I'm sure I will think of many other thing's to do but that is a start to my list. 

My sister and talk often and she told me that I would "know" when it was time.

Well, Sis, you were RIGHT!!  It's time.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's WONDERFUL!!!!!! I'm SO excited for you!