Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I didn't realize . . .

Last week was such a difficult week at work. I began to doubt my ability to maintain the stamina required to meet the needs of the students in my care. Beginning with neglect and hostility and then on to physical, emotional, and sexual abuse at the hands of the very people whose job it is to care for and nurture these children.

I listen. I comfort. I answer their questions the best I can. I point them to hope and a better life ahead. I call the abuse hot line.

One girl came back to me the next morning asking, "why didn't DHS come to my house? They said they would come. I'm afraid to go home. Time to call a supervisor.

This week has been so different. Girls fighting with their friends, competing over the same guy. Boys being bullied or bullying others. Families dealing with divorce. Boys and girls dealing with the normal adjustments of middle school. While each problem was disturbing to the individual, I felt better able to offer what they needed. I felt more sure of my decisions and responses.

Frankly, both kinds of weeks are difficult in their own way, but last week required me to draw from resources deeper within.

Then a teacher stopped me in the hall. She said, "Vicky, you are what I have always pictured a counselor to be. You do such a good job with our children."

Then I remembered last week when I shared my feelings of discouragement with another teacher friend. Her immediate response was, "but Vicky, you can't quit, you are so good with these kids. They need you".

I didn't realize . . .until I was reminded. I am making a difference even when I can't recognize it myself.

Thank you my teacher friends. You really encouraged me and you may never know how much.

3 comments:

April said...

I am quite confident that you ARE making a WONDERFUL difference in many, many lives. Hang in there even during the tough and trying and draining weeks. You are a blessing to many!

Farmgirlatheart said...

I felt many things when I read this post. I felt anger that the kids have to live with the evils of this world. I felt God's love and heartbreak that the kids have to live with the abuse they encounter. I KNOW with every fiber of my being that God put you there to help these kid's get thru such a time as this. I remember the people God put in my path to help me thru and I think about them often as an adult. You and your time, kindness and love will be what these kids think back on as they grow up. I hear many adults blame their bad choices on the childhood years. I point out to them to deal with it and move on. There is a time and place in all of our lives that we need to take control of lives and stop letting the past ghosts hang over our days. God Bless you Vicky for the part you have in these kids lives. Take very good care of yourself first so you can take care of these kids. I love you lots. Your Sis

Jennifer said...

I don't think you should ever doubt your ability to help those kiddos. You have a gift and a passion from the Lord, and that doubt is not from Him, it's from satan. I think it's amazing how much you love those kids and want to help them! And who better to help them than someone who has experienced so much in life and can actually understand what they're going through? Love you!